I do the same thing using mp3tag to create my playlists and import them into
itunes.  Much eaiser.

From: Thom Spittle
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:54 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: ITUNES 12, STILL NOT SUCCEEDING - MORE HELP, PLEASE!

If I could, let me suggest that the easiest way for me to manage the music I
want on my iPhone is to make a playlist of the songs that I want.

Then, when it comes to sync time. I just select the playlist I want.

You can add songs to your playlist with the application key and go to add to
playlist and direct it to your playlist.

If you want to delete a song from your playlist, just hit delete when you are
focused on the playlist song list.

Hope this helps,

Thom