Hi,
If your keyboard is paired with your phone and the phone is locked, turn on the
keyboard and wait about 3 to 5 seconds, then tap a key.  The capslock works for
me and the phone will wake up.
However, if you have a pass code, you may or may not be able to enter it on the
keyboard.  I'm finding with 8.1.1 that the keyboard is often entering double
letters/numbers until I power off the phone and turn it back on.  Makes no
sense, but that is what is  happening for me with my AmazonBasics Bluetooth
keyboard.

You cannot have the keyboard paired to two devices at the same time.
So, if you want to use the keyboard with your computer, turn Bluetooth off on
your phone so the phone isn't connected to the keyboard.
Then, your computer can connect.  But, you will have to disconnect it from the
computer before you can then use it again with the phone.  Also, since the keys
are different than a Windows keyboard, you will have to find out what keys
match with the alt and control, etc.

I've copied the VoiceOver Keyboard commands from the iOs 8.1 PDF manual and
saved them as a Word document and put it on my DropBox Public folder.  Here is
a link to that file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41698889/VoiceOver%20keyboard%20commands%20from%20iOS%208-1%20user%20guide.docx

HTH,
Richard