Hi Don,

I just saw that I still had the message I posted yesterday and I am reposting
it as well as sending it to you directly since apparently you overlooked it
yesterday. Here it is:

Hi Don,

You didn’t say whether you are using a PC/Windows or a Mac so I assume you are
using a PC. There a couple of headings in this email which you should be able
to go to with the “h” quick nav key provided you don’t use plain text as your
format.

Assumption and the Tones folder

When you installed iTunes the default location where iTunes data is kept is
your Music folder. If you use Windows 7 and your user name is “Don”, this would
be at c:\users\don\music.

Here you would have an iTunes folder and in that iTunes folder is a subfolder
called “iTunes Media”.

Inside iTunes Media are subfolders for the various media types. These folders
(you may not have all of them) would be things like Audio Books, Automatically
Add to iTunes, Books, Downloads, Home Videos, Mobile Applications, Movies,
Music, Podcasts, Tones and TV Shows. Like I said, if you have never purchased a
movie or TV show, chances are you may not have these folders.

If you don’t have a Tones folder, I suggest you create one just using standard
Windows commands, then put your ringtones into that folder. Don’t worry about
any of the default ringtones Apple provides, they are part of iOS and won’t
appear anywhere.

Ringtone format

Ringtones have to be in the correct format with the m4r extension if you want
them to work on an iPhone. This is basically the same as Apple’s AAC () music
format which has an extension of M4a, but you can simply rename any m4a file of
40 seconds or less to m4R and it will work. Most likely your Windows is set to
“Hide extensions for known file types” which means you don’t actually see the
extension and if you read the file attributes with your screenreader, it will
just say the file is a “Ringtone”. If you have to change the extension, do the
following:

1.       In your Tones folder, press “Alt+T” for the Tools menu.

2.       Up arrow once to select “Folder Options” which is at the very bottom
of that menu hence you can up arrow to wrap around to the end and get to it
right away. You could also just press Alt+T followed by “o”.

3.       Press Control+Tab to go to the “View tab” of the multi-tab dialogue
which opens.

4.       Your screenreader should say something like “Treeview, Files and
Folders, 18 items”.

5.       Arrow down until you get to an items which says “Hide extensions for
known file types, on” and press the spacebar to change it to “off”.

6.       Tab to “OK” and activate it with spacebar or enter.

If you now check any tones you have in your folder you will hear the name
followed by .m4r and if you have any that are still m4a, use the F2 (Rename)
command and just change the “a” to an “r”. Remember that you can’t just rename
an MP3 file by changing the .mp3 extension to .m4r, this will not work since
it’s a completely different format and you would have to first convert the MP3
ringtone to the AAC format and then rename it.

I also suggest you go back into Tools, Folder Options and set Hide extensions
for known file types back to On in order to avoid accidently changing the
extension of a file.

Adding Tones to your Tones library in iTunes

Now that your tones are in the Tones folder, you still have to add them to your
iTunes library. You can do this in a couple of different ways. My 2 favorite
methods are this:

1.       If you only have a few tones, you can just press enter on each one.
This will open iTunes if it’s not already open and start the tone playing. You
can stop it by pressing the spacebar, Alt+Tab back to your Tones folder and
repeat until you have played all the tones you want to add. Each time as the
tone plays it is added to the Tones library (shortcut key in iTunes to get to
that is Control+8).

2.       If you have a lot of tones, just close your Tones folder and open
iTunes. Go to the Tones library with Control+8. Now press Alt+F to get to the
File menu and select the “Add Folder to Library”. A standard Windows Open
dialogue appears, browse to your Tones folder, then tab to “Select” and
activate it by pressing enter or spacebar. This will add all tones in your
Tones folder to the tones library. You can use F6 or tab to find the list view
of Tones and arrow down through the list to see if they are all there, pressing
enter on any of them will start playing it. Your Tones are now ready to be
synced to your phone.

Syncing Tones to your iPhone

1.       Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes. Find your device
(easiest is to use Control+F to go to the search box, then tab a few times, it
should be right after the “More” radio button).

2.       Tab or use F6 until you get to the treeview which starts with
“Summary”. F6 probably gets you there if you press it 3 or so times.

3.       Arrow down to “Tones”, typing “T O” should get you there right away..

4.       Tab past all the read only stuff until you get to “Sync Tones” and
make sure the checkbox is checked.

5.       Tab a couple more times, you will have 2 controls/options: “Sync all
tones” and one tab more “Sync selected tones”. Check the one you want. If you
check to sync all tones then you can just tab to the “Apply” button or go to
the file menu, arrow to Devices (use v for the shortcut) and then select  to
sync. If you check to sync selected tones you have to tab into the list view of
all your tones, arrow down through them and check the ones you want, then go to
Apply or sync.

That’s it, do it a few times and it will be a breeze.