I have just discovered that  my partner had set her new iphone 6 plus to use
iMessages but, as she is on pay as you go, she turns off mobile data.
Consequently, she did not receive the messages my iPhone sent her until she got
home to our wifi connection! iMessages only get sent as regular text messages
when Apple knows that the phone number your iPhone is contacting is not
registered for iMessages. Result: my partner has turned off iMessages and now
my text messages do reach her during the day and are not sent as iMessages even
though she has an iPhone. Harry