From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 2:05 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Sonos setup

Hi,

Thanks to Sieghard, Neal and many others on this list, I’ve taken the plunge
with Sonos.

So far, I totally love the sound. I haven’t had such great access to music and
quality of music reproduction for years.

I bought 4 Play3 speakers to setup as 2 stereo pairs in our 2 most frequently
used rooms.

I called Sonos help twice, both in anticipation of setting up the system. With
this background, I was able to set up the system without problem in about 30
minutes.

The help I got from the Sonos rep by phone proved most useful to me. Maybe
there’s other ways to get the info, but it’s the only install guidance I
received.

The first bit of information I got was how to power on the speaker. The Sonos
app refers the user to a diagram that wasn’t described. Looking at the speaker
from the front grill, with the speaker placed horizontally, there are two
buttons on the top of the unit. The first from the front is a rectangular,
rocker-style button. This is the Volume Up and Down. Depressing this rocker on
the front edge is Volume Down; depressing this button on the back edge is
Volume Up. Behind this rectangular button is a square button which serves as
Play / Pause, or sometimes known as Mute. To Power on a unit, simultaneously
depress Volume Up button and the Mute button, then release.

The second bit of useful information I got was the procedure for setting up 4
new speakers. Although Sonos operating system is now capable of wireless setup,
the rep suggested he had no way of knowing if all the units I received were
wireless capable out of the box. He suggested I use a temporary wired setup.
This worked like a charm. I Ethernet connected from the router to the first of
my Sonos speakers and followed the setup on the app. It then asked me to set up
the next. The 2nd through 4th speakers setup wirelessly, with each unit
positioned where it will live. Once I was done building my system, the app
completed a software update of all the units, thus ensuring that any future
setup could be done entirely by wireless. I was then able to disconnect the
temporary wired unit and position it where it now lives, all units being
entirely wireless.

Several steps in individual unit setup referred to green light or white light
or blinking light indicators on the speaker, but each of these was associated
with spoken guidance of waiting “a minute or so” or “a few seconds.” I couldn’t
tell the light status at any of these steps, but following the time guidance, I
encountered no problems.

After that, just  some trial and error with the app to get music playing, and
that was all it took!

Best, Keith

to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com> .