From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, 22 December 2014 3:52 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Turning off password

Hi Margaret,

You can’t turn passcode off if you want to use Touch Id. Passcode is your fail
save, after all, what happens if for some reason the fingerprint reader doesn’t
unlock your phone. In this case and also after a reboot of the phone you will
have to enter your passcode. As Christopher pointed out, you manage both
passcode and touch Id in Settings. If you have a passcode you will have to
enter the passcode again as soon as you are trying to get into the passcode
area. This would prevent somebody from removing or changing the passcode if
they got hold of your phone while it was unlocked.

Setting up a fingerprint is simple, just tap to add a fingerprint and then
follow the instructions and place your finger onto the home button multiple
times. At some point when you are mostly done it will ask you to capture the
edges of your print and show a picture of a person holding an iPhone and you
have to first tap on continue, then do as instructed and capture the edges of
your print. When it is done you will get a message that you can now use your
fingerprint to unlock the phone.

The way I do this is to press the home button briefly, it still has to be
pressed so the phone wakes up and the touch Id sensor starts doing it’s thing.
I just press and let go and then lightly leave my thumb on the home button for
maybe a second or so and usually that is all it takes to unlock the phone. It
works super good, it’s typically very reliable and I’d say it works 100%
perfect at least 9 out of 10 times I use it.