From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:01 PM
To: ViPone list
Subject: The ScanJig

OK, I now have seen what I consider the Cadillac of stands.

I got the ScanJig at work Monday.  I used KNFB Reader to scan the setup
instructions, free-hand, and was able to figure out the pieces and put it
together.

I enjoy puzzles, so it was fun putting it together.  It didn't take more
than about 5 or 10 minutes to figure it out without sighted help.

There are pictures of the pieces, so a sighted person could probably do it
in 2.

The ScanJig costs $30.00.

It is made from hard plastic.  It is a bit thicker than the other stands but
it looks way more durable.

It folds up into a box 13 by 9 and 1.5 inches thick.

The beauty of the ScanJig is that it can hold anything from a smart phone to
a tablet.

It holds both the document and the device at an angle so there is less
likelihood of casting a shadow over the document and it can capture the
maximum of the room light or use the flash.  There are no lights needed on
the device itself.

There is a movable Device Holder that snaps into one of four slots at
various distances from the Document Shelf.  On the Device Holder, is a
little shelf that snaps in to hold the phone or tablet.  There are 10
adjustment holes so you can get the optimum height of the device pointing at
the document.

I found with both the iPhone 5s and the 6, that the first slot, which is
11.5 inches from the document was the best position.  I also found that if I
put the shelf on the device holder in the second hole from the top, I can
get the entire document even if it has narrow margins.

There are some stick on pieces to help hold your device in place once you
get the position where you want it.

There are also two clips that can hold a document on the document shelf, for
example, a tri-fold letter that wants to curl, you can clip it in place so
it holds it steady.

It is definitely more bulky when folded up than either the Giraffe Reader or
the StandScan, but the fact that it will also hold a tablet from a full iPad
to an iPad Mini or any smart phone I think gives it a big edge.  Not to
mention it is made out of much stronger material and at a great price.

I'm going to paste the setup instructions below and also the link to their
web site.

www.scanjig.com

Note: I added the focal distances to the setup instructions below.

ScanJig Set-up Instructions

Product Description:

            The ScanJig is designed for easy tactile positioning of both a
smart device and documents for correct focus,  alignment and field of view.

            Once set up - the stand holds smart phones or tablets in a
vertical portrait orientation and at an angle where the  device's touch
screen interface is facing the user. The stand can also hold a document, in
the same vertical  portrait orientation, and angle, directly behind the
smart phone or tablet.

            The device holder can be adjusted to position your device's rear
lens to point directly at the center of the  document.

            Once the device is positioned in the optimum location, stops can
be applied to lock in this position. Then your  phone or tablet can easily
be placed in the same spot for each use.

            The product's open design takes advantage of ambient light and
helps avoid shadows. Further the device flash is  completely unobstructed if
this feature is needed.

What is stored inside the ScanJig

*           1 - Smart Device Holder and Device Shelf - the device will sit
on the shelf.

*           2 - Document Clips - to better hold creased documents or small
items.

*           4 - Peal and Stick Device Stops - after your mobile device is
positioned the stops help hold it in place and  provide an easy way to
quickly use the same position again.

*           2 - Thin peal and stick spacers - if needed, these can be placed
under your device for fine adjustment.

Initial Set-Up

1 Lift up on the latch at the front end of the ScanJig and open the cover
all the way until it stops. The inside of  the cover is the Document Bed
with a shelf on the bottom and a fence on the right. Place a document on the
shelf and against the fence.

2   Positioning your device camera for a full screen view of the document.

            This initial set-up is done once, the optimum device position is
then preserved by applying the peal and stick  stops for subsequent uses.

            Reach inside the ScanJig tray and lift the Device Holder up and
out of the storage clips. Slide the Device Holder  into one of the four
slots near the front of the ScanJig tray. The bottom of the Device Holder
snaps into the  two anchor clips located at the bottom of each set of slots
in the tray.

The focal distance for the slots are:

Slot one is 11.5 inches,

Slot two is 10.75 inches

Slot three is 10.125 inches

Slot four is 9.5 inches

Suggested slots for some popular mobile products starting from the front of
the ScanJig:  *     Apple products - slot 2 or 3  *     SamSung products -
slot 3 or 4  *     Nokia products - slot 1 or 2

            The device holder has ten sets of holes and the shelf has two
pegs that can be inserted into the holes. Hold  the shelf horizontally,
smooth side up, choose the set of holes that will best position your
device's lens to point  at the center of the document and insert the shelf
into the holes.

            Turn on your device and open your scanner app. Place your phone
or tablet on the shelf in the portrait  orientation. The top of your device
will be completely unobstructed with the lens pointing at the document.

            Slide your device left or right on the shelf until the document
is in full view.

            To adjust vertically you can move the shelf to different holes.
To zoom in or out, the entire device holder  assembly can be moved to a
different slot.

Peal and stick stops - when your phone or tablet is in the best position,
place one or two stops on the shelf in  front of the device, press firmly.
Also, place one stop on the device holder along the right side of the
device.  Press firmly.

            If needed, a thin peal and stick spacer can be placed under the
device to move the camera up slightly.  Now your phone or tablet can easily
be repositioned for each use.

Document clips - these can be used on the document bed to help hold
documents that have creases or folds.  The clips can also be used to
position smaller items on the bed.

3   To close the ScanJig - remove the fully assembled Device Holder from the
slot and lay it flat in the tray.  Remove any document clips from the
document Bed. Finally close and lock the cover.