> >> I scratched my head for a bit on this one.  Why are you walking over
> >> orders,
> >> *then* zones.  I *think* you're doing it because you can efficiently
> >> fill the bitmaps at a given order for all zones, then move to a new
> >> bitmap.  But, it would be interesting to document this.
> >
> > Yes, use the order is somewhat strange, but it's helpful to keep the API
> > simple.
> > Do you think it's acceptable?
>
> Yeah, it's fine.  Just comment it, please.

Good!

> >> What happens to the data in ->resp_data at this point?  Doesn't this
> >> just throw it away?
> >
> > Yes, so we should make sure the data in resp_data is not inuse.
>
> But doesn't it have valid data that we just collected and haven't told the
> hypervisor about yet?  Aren't we throwing away good data that cost us
> something to collect?

Indeed.  Some filled data may exist for the previous zone. Should we
change the API to
'int get_unused_pages(unsigned long *unused_pages, unsigned long size,
                int order, unsigned long *pos, struct zone *zone)' ?

then we can use the 'zone' to record the zone to retry and not discard the
filled data.

> What does a page_shift "in bytes" mean? :)

Obviously, you know. :o
I will try to make it clear.

> >> Is 'bmap_len' too short?  a 64-byte buffer is a bit tiny.  Right?
> >
> > Currently, we just use the 8 bytes and 0 bytes bitmap, should we support
> more than 64 bytes?
>
> It just means that with this format, you end up wasting at least ~1/8th of the
> space with metadata.  That's a bit unfortunate, but I guess it's not fatal.
>
> I'd definitely call it out in the patch description and make sure other folks
> take
> a look at it.

OK.

> There's a somewhat easy fix, but that would make the qemu implementation
> more complicated: You could just have bmap_len==0x3f imply that there's
> another field that contains an extended bitmap length for when you need long
> bitmaps.
>
> But, as you note, there's no need for it, so it's a matter of trading the
> extra
> complexity versus the desire to not habing to change the ABI again for longer
> (hopefully).

Your suggestion still works without changing the current code, just reserve
 ' bmap_len==0x3f' for future extension, and it's not used by the current code.

> >> Urg, so this won't partially fill?  So, what the nr_free pages limit
> >> where we no longer fit in the kmalloc()'d buffer where this simply won't
> work?
> >
> > Yes.  My initial implementation is partially fill, it's better for the
> > worst case.
> > I thought the above code is more efficient for most case ...
> > Do you think partially fill the bitmap is better?
>
> Could you please answer the question I asked?

For your question:
>So, what the nr_free pages limit where we no longer fit in the kmalloc()'d
>buffer
> where this simply won't work?
No, if the buffer is not big enough to save 'nr_free'  pages,
get_unused_pages() will return
'-ENOSPC', and the following code will try to allocate a 2x times size buffer
for retrying,
until the proper size buffer is allocated. The current order will not be
skipped unless the
buffer allocation failed.