On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:07:37 -0700
Siwei Liu <losewe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <m...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 06:11:53PM -0700, si-wei liu wrote:
> >> The plan is to enable group ID based matching in the first place rather
> >> than
> >> match by MAC, the latter of which is fragile and problematic.
> >
> > It isn't all that fragile - hyperv used same for a while, so if someone
> > posts working patches with QEMU support but before this grouping stuff,
> > I'll happily apply them.
>
> I wouldn't box the solution to very limited scenario just because of
> matching by MAC, the benefit of having generic group ID in the first
> place is that we save the effort of maintaining legacy MAC based
> pairing that just adds complexity anyway. Currently the VF's MAC
> address cannot be changed by either PF or by the guest user is a
> severe limitation due to this. The other use case is that PT device
> than VF would generally have different MAC than the standby virtio. We
> shouldn't limit itself to VF specific scenario from the very
> beginning.

So, this brings me to a different concern: the semantics of
VIRTIO_NET_F_STANDBY.

* The currently sole user seems to be the virtio-net Linux driver.
* The commit messages, code comments and Documentation/ all talk about
  matching by MAC.
* I could not find any proposed update to the virtio spec. (If there
  had been an older proposal with a different feature name, it is not
  discoverable.)

VIRTIO_NET_F_STANDBY is a host <-> guest interface. As there's no
official spec, you can only go by the Linux implementation, and by that
its semantics seem to be 'match by MAC', not 'match by other criteria'.

How is this supposed to work in the long run?