I sort of have the 2D rendering working between two linux systems using
VGL.  The application runs on a large server which is at run level 3, so
there is no active X server running.  Using vglconnect to the server and
then vglrun -d localhost:10.0 <app> I get all the 2D images just fine, but
no 3D renderings.  This makes some sense because the server isn't running
an X server at all.  But it does have V100 GPU's, so it could do 3D
rendering.

I have a second, smaller server which does run at level 5 and also has good
graphics cards.  I don't have local access to it.  So I'm wondering if it
makes sense at all (probably not, but I'm asking) if it's possible to use
the X server on a different system than the application and send the
rendered results to a 3rd system.  This is similar to the figure under
section 9.2 of the user's guide, except that the GPU driver and 3D X server
would be on the X proxy host.

Alternatively, is there a way to set up a virtual X server which uses the
local GPU, but does not connect to anything else except VGL requests?

How I got here:  I attempted to put the large server up to run level 5, and
it hosed the system so no one could log into it.  Power cycle was the only
recourse.  It's designed for our network to live at run level 3, so that's
where it stays.

I really don't understand all the details of X, VGL or ssh tunneling so my
assumption is that this is not simple.  It would be great if there is a way
to take advantage of the hardware for graphics as well as for the compute
power.
Thanks.