On 09/15/09 14:57, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> That's probably not what we want. I imagine what we want is:
>
> /dev/ttyV0
> /dev/ttyV1
> /dev/ttyVN

Yes.

> And then we want:
>
> /sys/class/virtio-console/ttyV0/name -> "org.qemu.clipboard"

Yes.

> Userspace can detect when new virtio-consoles appear via udev events.
> When it sees a new ttyVN, it can then look in sysfs to discover it's name.

No.  udev can create symlinks for you, so apps don't have to dig into
sysfs.  You'll need a rule along the lines (untested):

    SUBSYSTEM=="virtio", \
    DRIVERS="virtio-console", \
    SYMLINK+="vcon/$attr{name}"

then udev will create a /dev/vcon/org.qemu.clipboard symlink pointing to
dev/ttyV0.  Apps can just open /dev/vcon/$name then.

cheers,
   Gerd