On 05/02/2013 04:37 AM, Pawel Moll wrote:
Hi Tom,

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 04:40 +0100, Tom Lyon wrote:
Virtiio_mmio attempts to mimic the layout of some control registers from
virtio_pci.  These registers, in particular VIRTIO_MMIO_QUEUE_SEL and
VIRTIO_PCI_QUEUE_SEL,
are active in nature, and not just passive like a normal memory
location.  Thus, the host side must react immediately upon write of
these registers to map some other registers (queue address, size, etc)
to queue-specific locations.  This is just not possible for mmio, and, I
would argue, not desirable for PCI either.
Could you, please, elaborate more about the environment you are talking
about here?

The intention of the MMIO device is to behave like a normal memory
mapped peripheral, say serial port. In the world of architecture without
separate I/O address space (like ARM, MIPS, SH-4 to name only those I
know anything about), such peripherals are usually mapped into the
virtual address space with special attributes, eg. guaranteeing
transactions order. That's why the host can "react immediately" and to
my knowledge multi-queue virtio devices work just fine.

I'd love see comments from someone with x86 expertise in such areas.
Maybe we are missing some memory barriers here? So the host
implementation would have a chance to react to the QUEUE_SEL access
before servicing other transactions?

Regards

Paweł

Ah, my mistake. I was assuming that mmio just used shared memory regions, not that there was emulated IO registers. I was driven to that assumption by looking at the rpmsg use case in which a main processor talks to satellite processors - there seems to be no hypervisor and therefore no emulated IO in that case. However, looking deeper, it seems that rpmsg has its own notify mechanism anyways, so it is not so cleanly layered on virtio. Also, for my needs, I want rpmsg and virtio_net.

In my desire to use a PCIe card to emulate virtio I am also talking about a non-hypervisor use case - just leveraging the virtio framework for inter-processor communication. Virtio is so close to being the answer it woud be a shame if it wasn't. So I would propose that virtio be restructured such that the configuration layout is identical among virtio transports and acts like memory, the configuration location is transport-specific, and the notification mechanism is transport specific - but I could live writing to some queue specific memory/io location (for both pci and mmio).