Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 02:18:12AM CET, m...@redhat.com wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 05:02:18PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 08:19:24 +0100
>> Jiri Pirko <j...@resnulli.us> wrote:

>> > Why do you mind? All would be the same, there would be just another
>> > netdevice unused by the vm user (same as the vf netdev).
>> >

>> I mind because our requirement is no changes to userspace.
>> No special udev rules, no bonding script, no setup.
>
>Agreed. It is mostly fine from this point of view, except that you need
>to know to skip the slaves.  Maybe we could look at some kind of
>trick e.g. pretending link is down for slaves?

:O Another hack. Please, don't.

>> Things like cloudinit running on current distro's expect to see a single
>> eth0.  The VF device show up can also be an issue because distro's have
>> stupid rules like Network Manager trying to start DHCP on every interface.
>> We deal with that now by doing stuff like udev rules to get it to stop
>> but that is still causing user errors.

So that means that with an extra netdev for "virtio_net bypass" you will
face exactly the same problems. Should not be an issue for you then.

>So the ideal of a single net device isn't achieved by netvsc.
>
>Since you have scripts to skip the PT device, can't they
>hind the PV slave too? How do they identify the device to skip?
>
>I agree it would be nice to have a way to hide the extra netdev
>from userspace.

"A hidden netdevice", hmm. I believe that instead of doing hacks like
this, we should fix userspace to treat particular netdevices correctly.