On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 09:12:30AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> On 2018年05月18日 22:33, Tiwei Bie wrote:

> > > Yes, we may want this for virtio-net as well in the future.

> > > I guess so (at least from the above bits). Git grep -i "out of order" in
> > > drivers/net gives some hints. Looks like there're few deivces do this.

> > > Right, some iSCSI did.
> > >
> > > But tracking them elsewhere is not only for OOO.
> > >
> > > Spec said:
> > >
> > > for element address
> > >
> > > "
> > > In a used descriptor, Element Address is unused.
> > > "
> > >
> > > for Next flag:
> > >
> > > "
> > > For example, if descriptors are used in the same order in which they are
> > > made available, this will result in
> > > the used descriptor overwriting the first available descriptor in the
> > > list,
> > > the used descriptor for the next list
> > > overwriting the first available descriptor in the next list, etc.
> > > "
> > >
> > > for in order completion:
> > >
> > > "
> > > This will result in the used descriptor overwriting the first available
> > > descriptor in the batch, the used descriptor
> > > for the next batch overwriting the first available descriptor in the next
> > > batch, etc.
> > > "
> > >
> > > So:
> > >
> > > - It's an alignment to the spec
> > > - device may (or should) overwrite the descriptor make also make address
> > > field useless.
> > You didn't get my point...
>
> I don't hope so.
>
> > I agreed driver should track the DMA addrs or some
> > other necessary things from the very beginning. And
> > I also repeated the spec to emphasize that it does
> > make sense. And I'd like to do that.
> >
> > What I was saying is that, to support OOO, we may
> > need to manage these context (which saves DMA addrs
> > etc) via a list which is similar to the desc list
> > maintained via `next` in split ring instead of an
> > array whose elements always can be indexed directly.
>
> My point is these context is a must (not only for OOO).

Yeah, and I have the exactly same point after you
pointed that I shouldn't get the addrs from descs.
I do think it makes sense. I'll do it in the next
version. I don't have any doubt about it. All my
questions are about the OOO, instead of whether we
should save context or not. It just seems that you
thought I don't want to do it, and were trying to
convince me that I should do it.

> > The desc ring in split ring is an array, but its
> > free entries are managed as list via next. I was
> > just wondering, do we want to manage such a list
> > because of OOO. It's just a very simple question
> > that I want to hear your opinion... (It doesn't
> > means anything, e.g. It doesn't mean I don't want
> > to support OOO. It's just a simple question...)
>
> So the question is yes. But I admit I don't have better idea other than what
> you propose here (something like split ring which is a little bit sad).
> Maybe Michael had.

Yeah, that's why I asked this question. It will
make the packed ring a bit similar to split ring
at least in the driver part. So I want to draw
your attention on this to make sure that we're
on the same page.

Best regards,
Tiwei Bie