On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:50:11 +0800
Jason Wang <jasow...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Or something like I proposed several years ago?
> https://do-db2.lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/25/169
>
> Btw, for virtio-net, I think we actually want to go for having a maximum
> number of supported queues like what hardware did. This would be useful
> for e.g cpu hotplug or XDP (requires per cpu TX queue). But the current
> vector allocation doesn't support this which will results all virtqueues
> to share a single vector. We may indeed need more flexible policy here.

I think it should be possible for the driver to give the transport
hints how to set up their queues/interrupt structures. (The driver
probably knows best about its requirements.) Perhaps whether a queue is
high or low frequency, or whether it should be low latency, or even
whether two queues could share a notification mechanism without
drawbacks. It's up to the transport to make use of that information, if
possible.