On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 12:31:48PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> On 2019/7/3 下午9:08, Tiwei Bie wrote:

> > > Can we simply add them into ioctl of mdev_parent_ops?
> > Right, either way, these ioctls have to be and just need to be
> > added in the ioctl of the mdev_parent_ops. But another thing we
> > also need to consider is that which file descriptor the userspace
> > will do the ioctl() on. So I'm wondering do you mean let the
> > userspace do the ioctl() on the VFIO device fd of the mdev
> > device?
> >

> Yes.

Got it! I'm not sure what's Alex opinion on this. If we all
agree with this, I can do it in this way.

> Is there any other way btw?

Just a quick thought.. Maybe totally a bad idea. I was thinking
whether it would be odd to do non-VFIO's ioctls on VFIO's device
fd. So I was wondering whether it's possible to allow binding
another mdev driver (e.g. vhost_mdev) to the supported mdev
devices. The new mdev driver, vhost_mdev, can provide similar
ways to let userspace open the mdev device and do the vhost ioctls
on it. To distinguish with the vfio_mdev compatible mdev devices,
the device API of the new vhost_mdev compatible mdev devices
might be e.g. "vhost-net" for net?

So in VFIO case, the device will be for passthru directly. And
in VHOST case, the device can be used to accelerate the existing
virtualized devices.

How do you think?

Thanks,
Tiwei