On 2020/8/6 下午1:58, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 11:37:38AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
On 2020/8/5 下午7:45, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
    #define virtio_cread(vdev, structname, member, ptr)                 \
        do {                                                            \
                might_sleep();                                          \
                /* Must match the member's type, and be integer */      \
-               if (!typecheck(typeof((((structname*)0)->member)), *(ptr))) \
+               if (!__virtio_typecheck(structname, member, *(ptr)))    \
                        (*ptr) = 1;                                     \
A silly question,  compare to using set()/get() directly, what's the value
of the accessors macro here?

Thanks
get/set don't convert to the native endian, I guess that's why
drivers use cread/cwrite. It is also nice that there's type
safety, checking the correct integer width is used.

Yes, but this is simply because a macro is used here, how about just doing
things similar like virtio_cread_bytes():

static inline void virtio_cread(struct virtio_device *vdev,
                       unsigned int offset,
                       void *buf, size_t len)

And do the endian conversion inside?

Thanks

Then you lose type safety. It's very easy to have an le32 field
and try to read it into a u16 by mistake.

These macros are all about preventing bugs: and the whole patchset
is about several bugs sparse found - that is what prompted me to make
type checks more strict.

Yes, but we need to do the macro with compiler extensions. I wonder whether or not the kernel has already had something since this request here is pretty common?

Thanks