During device creation time more parameters to be added.

> Can configuration parameters be changed at runtime (e.g. link up/down)?

For representor eswitch based devices, it is usually controlled through it.
For others, I haven't thought about it. If the device supports it, I believe so.
If multiple vpda devices are created over single VF/PF/SF, virtualizing the
link for up/down (not just changing the vdpa config bits) can be a challenge.

> Does the configuration parameter interface distinguish between standard
> and vendor-specific parameters? Are they namespaced to prevent naming
> collisions?
Do you have an example of vendor specific parameters?
Since this tool exposes virtio compliant vdpa devices, I didn't consider any
vendor specific params.

> How are software-only parent drivers supported? It's kind of a shame to
> modprobe unconditionally if they won't be used. Does vdpatool have some
> way of requesting loading a parent driver? That way software drivers can be
> loaded on demand.
Well, since each parent or management device registers for it, and their type
is same, there isn't a way right not to auto load the module.
This will require user to learn what type of vendor device driver to be loaded,
which kinds of defeats the purpose.

> What is the benefit of making it part of iproute2? If there is not a
> significant
> advantage like sharing code, then I suggest using a separate repository and
> package so vdpatool can be installed separately (e.g. even on AF_VSOCK-
> only guests without Ethernet).
Given that vdpa tool intents to create network specific devices, iproute2 seems
a better fit than a own repository.
It mainly uses libmnl.