[ Cc'ing Gurchetan Singh ]

> Can we follow up on this issue?
>
> The main pain point with your suggestion is the fact,
> that it will cause VirGL protocol breakage and we would
> like to avoid this.
>
> Extending execbuffer ioctl and create_resource ioctl is
> more convenient than having the protocol broken.

Do you know at resource creation time whenever you need cpu access
or not?  IOW can we make that a resource property, so we don't have
pass around lists of objects on each and every execbuffer ioctl?

> Blob resources is not a solution, too, because QEMU doesn't
> support blob resources right now.
>
> In ideal solution when both QEMU and crosvm support blob resources
> we can switch to blob resources for textures.

That'll only happen if someone works on it.
I will not be able to do that though.

> I would like to introduce changes gradually and not make a protocol
> breakage.

Well, opengl switching to blob resources is a protocol change anyway.
That doesn't imply things will break though.  We have capsets etc to
extend the protocol while maintaining backward compatibility.

> What do you think about that?

I still think that switching to blob resources would be the better
solution.  Yes, it's alot of work and not something which helps
short-term.  But adding a new API as interim solution isn't great
either.  So, not sure.  Chia-I Wu?  Gurchetan Singh?

While being at it:  Chia-I Wu & Gurchetan Singh, could you help
reviewing virtio-gpu kernel patches?  I think you both have a better
view on the big picture (with both mesa and virglrenderer) than I have.
Also for the crosvm side of things.  The procedure for that would be to
send a patch adding yourself to the virtio-gpu section of the
MAINTAINERS file, so scripts/get_maintainer.pl will Cc you on patches
submitted.

thanks,
  Gerd