On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 10:38 PM Christoph Hellwig <h...@lst.de> wrote:

> While using the MC-safe copy routines is rather pointless on a virtual device
> like virtiofs, it also isn't harmful at all.  So just use _copy_mc_to_iter
> unconditionally to simplify the code.

>From a correctness perspective, yes, but from a performance perspective, see:

enable_copy_mc_fragile()

...on those platforms fast-string copy implementation is replaced with
a manual unrolled copy. So this will cause a performance regression on
those platforms.

How about let's keep this as is / still only use it for PMEM where end
users are already dealing with the performance difference across
platforms? I considered exporting an indicator of which backend
routine has been selected from arch/x86/lib/copy_mc.c, but it got
messy quickly so I fell back to just keeping the status quo.