btw I saw the policy for -EBUSY is also not consistent in this series.

while it's correct to change -EBUSY to -EMEDIUMTYPE for omap, assuming
that retrying another fresh domain for the said device should work:

        if (omap_domain->dev) {
-               dev_err(dev, "iommu domain is already attached\n");
-               ret = -EBUSY;
+               ret = -EMEDIUMTYPE;
                goto out;
        }

the change in tegra-gart doesn't sound correct:

        if (gart->active_domain && gart->active_domain != domain) {
-               ret = -EBUSY;
+               ret = -EMEDIUMTYPE;

one device cannot be attached to two domains. This fact doesn't change
no matter how many domains are tried. In concept this check is
redundant and should have been done by iommu core, but obviously we
didn't pay attention to what -EBUSY actually represents in this path.

> But OK, I'm on board, lets use more common errnos with specific
> meaning, that can be documented in a comment someplace:
>  ENOMEM - out of memory
>  ENODEV - no domain can attach, device or iommu is messed up
>  EINVAL - the domain is incompatible with the device
>  <others> - Same behavior as ENODEV, use is discouraged.

There are also cases where common kAPIs are called in the attach
path which may return -EINVAL and random errno, e.g.:

omap_iommu_attach_dev()
  omap_iommu_attach()
    iommu_enable()
      pm_runtime_get_sync()
        __pm_runtime_resume()
          rpm_resume()
        if (dev->power.runtime_error) {
                retval = -EINVAL;

viommu_attach_dev()
  viommu_domain_finalise()
    ida_alloc_range()
        if ((int)min < 0)
                return -ENOSPC;

> I think achieving consistency of error codes is a generally desirable
> goal, it makes the error code actually useful.
>
> Joerg this is a good bit of work, will you be OK with it?
>
> > Thus as long as we can maintain that basic guarantee that attaching
> > a group to a newly allocated domain can only ever fail for resource
> > allocation reasons and not some spurious "incompatibility", then we
> > don't need any obscure trickery, and a single, clear, error code is
> > in fact enough to say all that needs to be said.
>
> As above, this is not the case, drivers do seem to have error paths
> that are unconditional on the domain. Perhaps they are just protective
> assertions and never happen.
>
> Regardless, it doesn't matter. If they return ENODEV or EINVAL the
> VFIO side algorithm will continue to work fine, it just does alot more
> work if EINVAL is permanently returned.

I don't see an elegant option here.

If we care about accuracy of reporting incompatibility -EMEDIUMTYPE
is obviously a better option.

If we think attach_dev is a slow path and having unnecessary retries
doesn't hurt then -EINVAL sounds a simpler option. We probably can
just go using -EINVAL as retry indicator in vfio even w/o changing
iommu drivers at this point. Then improve them to use consistent
errno gradually and in a separate effort.

Thanks
Kevin