Hi Andrea,

I haven’t been able reproduce this issue as steps have not been provided to
recreate, just  information to try and analyse the behaviour being encountered.
If you can provide a copy of your data /databases and HTTP recordings of they
queries being run,  then that would be easiest to reproduce the issue ? Failing
that if the data is proprietary/secure and cannot be provided then there is an
option to gather database statistics which can be imported locally  and the
analysed by development  to facilitate reproducing the effect, as detailed at:

http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/doc/dav/wiki/Main/VirtQueryOptDiagnostic

With regards to the latest sys_l_stat queries detailing locks/waits on the
database in both sets of queries all the locks/waits are occurring on the
RO_VAL index of the DB.DBA.RDF_OBJ table:

KEY_TABLE
  INDEX_NAME
    LOCKS    WAITS    WAIT_PCT  DEADLOCKS  LOCK_ESC  WAIT_MSECS
VARCHAR NOT NULL
  VARCHAR
    INTEGER  INTEGER  INTEGER  INTEGER  INTEGER  INTEGER

DB.DBA.RDF_OBJ
  RO_VAL
    3431249  1577     0        1141     95       501193384

 which is used for storing long “O” (Object) values in the RDF_QUAD table or if
they have a Free-Text index,see:

http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/rdfdatarepresentation.html#rdfquadtables

Thus do you have many long O ie object/literal values in your datasets or have
Free-text indexing enabled ? Although I don’t see any use of bif:contains which
would use the FT index in the sample queries you have provided ?

Will have to check with development as to possible cause or prevention of these
locks on the RO_VAL index …

OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/
Weblog   -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/
LinkedIn -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/
Twitter  -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink
Google+  -- http://plus.google.com/100570109519069333827/
Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware
Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology Providers