HI Matthew,

It shows my database "studies" at the same level as "DB", "PUMP", "UDDI",
"VAD", etc.

Clicking down to the tables, it shows them as:  studies.DBA.studies

I used the default DBA account (for now). I didn't modify any defaults of
installation from the tarball, to keep things simple.

But "SELECT * FROM studies.DBA.studies;" still returns the same syntax error
as did "SELECT * FROM studies..studies;"

Under the "Interactive SQL" tab, "SELECT * FROM studies..studies;" works fine.. So, does this mean Virtuoso is somehow seeing it differently from my
php script:

<?php

$dbc = odbc_connect('virtuoso','dba','dba');
$(!$dbc) { exit("Failed!\n"); }

$sql = "SELECT * FROM studies..studies;";
$rs = odbc_exec($dbc, $sql);

When using the isql tool, you need to use a semi colon, so the parser knows when it has reached the end of the statement.

In ODBC you should not use a semicolon, unless you want a compound statement, which in this case you do not have. So please use:

        $sql = "SELECT * FROM studies..studies";

Patrick