Hi Joe,

Patrick: Commenting out those plugins solves it.  Thanks!

And I'll keep in mind Tim's advice about building directly from source
if I see subsequent problems.

For the record, the Macports version of Virtuoso doesn't build and I
reported a bug about it here: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29584

Good to hear.

Note that depending on the version of Mac OS X, you can do the port with the native XCode development set without any of these macport or fink installations, as we support the Mac OS X environment natively as well.

At least on 10.5 and 10.6 you should be able to build a working Virtuoso out of the box, using the source code available on:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtuoso/files/virtuoso/

The README file inside the source tree shows you what to do and there are more instructions in the Wiki:

    http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/

Tim will be looking into any possible issues with Fink and/or Macports.

Please let us know if you have more questions about Virtuoso.

Patrick