Hi Hugh,

Sorry for wasting your time. I finally got the cause down.

When I saw this for the first time in the gdb

Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
The program no longer exists.

And this in dmesg

Out of memory: Kill process 14738 (virtuoso-t) score 763 or sacrifice child
Killed process 14738, UID 21059, (virtuoso-t) total-vm:16179784kB, anon-rss:12910420kB, file-rss:152kB

The total-vm size in that dmesg line is surprising its is nearly 16gb of memory use.

Yet the NumberOfBuffers is 904897 (about 8 gb assuming 9KB pages) and MaxDirtyBuffers 500000. The odd size of the NumberOfBuffers is due to auto sizing this setting in the conf from the managing process as virtuoso is basically running in a embedded/lite mode.

The server is in O_DIRECT mode (set to 1)

What can I set so that this does not happen? i.e. why is the memory consumption so large during this SPARQL update? Is it because my max result size?

Regards,
Jerven