Hi Ghislain,
many thanks for your answer.
By the way the page you're mentioning doesn't resolv my doubts.

First the last two examples, which are using geospatial query
(bif:st_intersects) are not working: the first is giving no results, the
last an error.

Then I'm concerned with the geospatial functions. E.g. bif:st_intersect is
defined in an openlink ontology (http://www.openlinksw.com/schemas/bif#)
and are based as far as I can see on SQL MM.
The GeoSPARQL functions are defined here:
http://www.opengis.net/def/function/geosparql/. The GeoSPARQL function for
intersect is http://www.opengis.net/def/function/geosparql/sfIntersects

I don't understand if these GeoSPARQL functions are supported by Virtuoso.

Pasquale