Eng.Bassam - you can take a look at https://github.com/HHS/meshrdf.  We do
something very similar - we've designed an OWLv1 ontology and then we have a
fairly complicated XSLT transform that consumes MeSH XML and transforms it into
RDF.   It is unfair to say that RDF is schemaless - the vocabulary/ontology are
really the schema.   Ours is formatted in Turtle format in
https://github.com/HHS/meshrdf/blob/master/meta/vocabulary.ttl.

At this point, I generally edit that file by hand, but I know that a lot of
people use WebProtege<http://webprotege.stanford.edu/> to design their
ontology/vocabulary, and then work from there.   Designing the
ontolology/vocabulary can be top-down, but there are also surprises once you
get into implementing the XSLT, e.g. difficulty doing a particular
transformation.   As an example, you can look at
http://webprotege.stanford.edu/#Edit:projectId=3af2108f-2aaf-45e1-bda7-3dc9f172838f
 for ours in WebProtege.

Kingsley Idehen and others on this list may know of other, better UIs for
designing an ontology.

Think about it this way - you want to capture the properties of each object in
your XML.   A generic converter won't know which XML tag represents a data
property of a parent object (birthday, name), and which XML tag represents a
relationship property to a new object.   In some datasets, the name could be a
relationship property to a different object, for example if the datasets is to
represent the prevalence of different baby names within a certain community.
However, in most datasets, a name is a pure data property.   The
ontology/vocabulary is to a graph database as the schema is to an RDBMS.