The fault was mine.  I forgot to specify the "UTF-8" encoding in the file
writer:

writer = new OutputStreamWriter(new GZIPOutputStream(output));

writer = new OutputStreamWriter(new GZIPOutputStream(output), "UTF-8");

Although the file looks near identical and even looks correct in some
programs, it wasn't until the encoding is added that the resultant file is
correctly uploaded into Virtuoso.  - Erich