[vlc/vlc-3.0] [branch: refs/tags/3.0.0]
Tagger: Jean-Baptiste Kempf <j...@videolan.org>
Date: Thu Feb 8 16:58:52 2018 +0100
VLC media player 3.0.0 'WeatherWax'
This is the first release of VLC 3.0 branch, named "WeatherWax",
in reference to the Granny Witch from Discworld.
WeatherWax is a major release changing a lot in the media engine of VLC.
It is one of the largest release we've ever done.
- activates hardware decoding on all platforms, of H.264 & H.265, 8 & 10bits,
allowing 4K60 or even 8K decoding with little CPU consumption,
- merges all the code from the mobile ports into the same codebase with
common numbering and releases,
- supports 360 video and 3D audio, and prepares for VR content,
- supports direct HDR and HDR tone-mapping,
- updates the audio passthrough for HD Audio codecs,
- allows browsing of local network drives like SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS...
- stores the passwords securely,
- brings a new subtitle rendering engine, supporting ComplexTextLayout
and font fallback to support multiple languages and fonts,
- supports ChromeCast with the new renderer framework,
- adds support for numerous new formats and codecs, including WebVTT,
AV1, TTML, HQX, 708, Cineform, and many more,
- improves Bluray support with Java menus, aka BD-J,
- updates the macOS interface with major cleaning and improvements,
- support HiDPI UI on Windows, with the switch to Qt5,
- prepares the experimental support for Wayland on Linux, and
switches to OpenGL by default on Linux.
And so many other things... See our NEWS file!
vlc-commits mailing list