From: VM/ESA and z/VM Discussions [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Raymond Noal
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:48 PM
To: VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Can z/VM 5.2.0 IPL w/o a console

Kris,

Yes I do have SYSTEM_CONSOLE specified in the SYSTEM CONFIG file.

As evidence -

/**********************************************************************/

/*                         Features Statement                         */

/**********************************************************************/

 Features ,

   Auto_IPL WARM ,

   Auto_IPL_AFTER_RESTART WARM ,

   Auto_IPL_AFTER_SHUTDOWN_REIPL WARM ,

/**********************************************************************/

/*                     Console Definitions                            */

/**********************************************************************/

 Operator_Consoles     0020 0021 0022 0023 ,

                       0040 0041 0042 0043 ,

                       System_3270 System_Console

 Emergency_Message_Consoles   0020 0021 0022 0023 ,

                              0040 0041 0042 0043 ,

                              System_Console

These statements were copied from my z/VM 5.1.0 system which would IPL
without any console (other than System_Console) available. The z/VM
5.2.0 system (RSU 0501) will not IPL at all nor display any messages on
the HMC's Operating System Message Panel. No indication of a wait state
or any other error condition is given. What I am doing for now is using
the Integrated 3270 feature (SYSG) on the HMC to IPL 5.2. It's been a
life saver.

It looks like its PMR time to me? What say ye??

HITACHI
 DATA SYSTEMS

Raymond E. Noal
Lab Manager, San Diego Facility