Don't forget that DUMP space is allocated to SPOOL spaced (unless you
specified the 'DUMP' on the CP_Owned statement in "SYSTEM CONFIG").  Did
you change the amount of memory on the real machine in some way?  Did you
change any specifications in "SYSTEM CONFIG" which would affect storage
allocation in some way?

Do you have the same **number** of files as you did before?  Remember that
SPOOL contains RDR, PRT, PUN, NSSes, etc. --- did you reload all types?
If you don't have the same number of files, can you post the commands you
entered to dump and restore the files?  It might be a simple syntax
problem.
Do you have the results of a 'CP QUERY SDF ALL' from both systems?

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Janice Calder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "VM/ESA and z/VM Discussions" <VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/05/2006 01:23 PM
Please respond to
"VM/ESA and z/VM Discussions" <VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Problem moving spool files from z/vm 3.1 to z/vm 5.2 using spxtape

                 When loading spool files using spxtape we appear to be
using up a lot of spool
pages that are not identified or associated with regular spool entries but
are
flagged as in use. VMspool identifies them as "Other" in the sysuse
screen.

I tried loading by userid only,  issuing Q ALLOC SPOOL command frequently
and
the number of spool pages loaded was about 1/3 the number being used up.
The spxtape dump  on 3.1 dumped approx 11,000 files using about 800,000
pages
which looks fine. The loading appears to be the problem.

Problem has been report to IBM but this problem does not appear in their
database. More help from them tomorrow but I like to get a work around
today.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hans Rempel / Janice Calder

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.