I've been interested in this topic, but I wonder about the usefulness
of an encryption mechanism in a tape drive, if you have to go to a DR
site without the decryption hardware.

My thinking is that you want the keys to be managed by the backup/restore
software, and fed into the drive at the point where the encrypted portion
of the tape starts. Then, if the hardware encryption was NOT available, a
compatible backup or restore could be done by having the backup software use
software encryption/decryption instead.

I suppose that the encrypting tape drive could be designed so that the tapes
were unreadable by non-encrypting drives. The thinking might be that
allowing
a non-encrypting drive to read the encrypted data allows a thief to try
brute
force repetition to find the secret key. This kind of architecture would
prohibit
any software implementations to decode the data even if the key were
available
to the restore software.

Any thoughts on this?

Bob Bolch