Although this doesn't answer the original poster's question, I think Mike made an error.  You can IPL z/VM 3.1.0 or 4.x under VM/ESA, because those z/VM releases can still run in 31-bit mode.  z/VM 5.x cannot run as a guest of VM/ESA.

                                                                        Dennis

"Bad facts make bad laws."  -- Frank Zappa, at the PMRC hearings

From: VM/ESA and z/VM Discussions [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 09:17
To: VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM/ESA 2.4 under z/VM 5.x

For those who weren't reading closely enough, Dan asked if he could run an out-of-support VM/ESA 2.4.0 system as a guest under a supported z/VM 5.x host system.

I can't think of a single reason that this should not work.  We still have our old VM/ESA 240 res packs spinning in the data center.  I attached them to my own ID (R/O - to keep from changing anything), and IPLed them from my ID up to the first prompt (COLD, WARM, etc.).  That VM/ESA 240 guest IPL was performed on a z800 running z/VM 510.

The architecture for z/VM 510 does not have anything specific to prevent the IPL of a VM/ESA system.  Now going the other way -- trying to IPL a 64-bit z/VM anything under VM/ESA will *not* work, since VM/ESA does not support the 64-bit addressing required by zArchitecture.

So... if Dan was asking because he needs to spend some time converting apps from VM/ESA to z/VM 5.x, and cannot set up another LPAR in which to install z/VM 5.x, then yes, you can still run your old VM/ESA 240 system as a guest of z/VM 5.x.  But letting general users access the VM/ESA 240 guest will be different, as would accessing 1st-level hardware devices (e.g. tapes drives).  Maybe a little more information about the need would yield a more thorough answer.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:50:56 -0600, Dan Andrada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

>Hello Listers!
>
>Just wanted to find out if anyone has been able to run VM/ESA 2.4 as a
>guest under z/VM 5.x - any info would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks!

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.