Here's a simple question:  Why can't VNC server and viewer just use
established SSH protocols to communicate?  Incorporate OpenSSH code into
the server and PuTTY (or whatever) code into the viewer.  Isn't that
workable?  The keys wouldn't be encoded in the password, they would be
handled in the way that SSH normally handles them.

Mike