rach elms79 wrote:

For a TightVNC server on an AIX box with a TightVNC client on Windows2000, will 8-bit pseudocolor be faster than 24-bit Truecolor?

Yes, mainly because it is roughly 1/3-rd of the data to process. (read compress and transfer).

What should I set for the Win2K display colors - 256 colors for 8bit pseudocolor? I can't use 16-bit Truecolor on the VNC server, since

The viewer side desktop should be capable of displaying the colordepth. In most situations, the same or a higher colordept should do.

I need to use Cadence which accepts only 8-bit PC or 24-bit TC, so I think the 16-bit display colors on Win2K would slow down the performance, right?

You should search the mail archive for both vnc and tight-vnc (and optionally other vnc variants) for the tool 'Cadence'. I've never seen or used the tool but a remark of both Cadence and vnc makes me itchy, I recal by head that this cadence is a verry bad behaving X11 application.

Does the X window manager on the AIX box make a difference for speed (twm vs. CDE) - since VNC just sends pixels and the AIX box
can handle the heaviness of CDE ok?

For the window manager, in vnc it is similar to at the console or at any other X11-server. Between twm and cde, I can say that cde is a lot larger and hence uses a lot more resources (memory, cpu etc). I recall that te t in twm is for tiny, that sould say something...

CBee