Michael,

The easiest way to get VNC to allow you to access Linux from a Windows
machine is to first download and install VNC 4b4 on the Linux machine.
If you're running a Linux distribution that supports RPM (such as
RedHat) then simply download the RPM from our website, then, as "root",
use "rpm -I <filename>" to install the software.

Once that's done, you can log-in to the Linux machine as the telescope
user, for example, and run "vncserver".  You may be asked to provide a
password, which will be used to control access to the server.  Finally,
you'll be told the VNC "display" number, which will probably be 1.

To connect from a Windows machine, download VNC Viewer and run it,
specifying <linux-machine-name-or-ip>:1 as the "host" and then supplying
the same password you used earlier.

Note that if you restart the Linux machine, you'll need to also restart
the VNC server.  You can edit the file ~.vnc/xstartup for the user who
is running the VNC server to change the window manager to something like
KDE, that may be easier to use.

Hope that helps,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.