Eric,

You need to check that you haven't used Fast User Switching or Remote
Desktop, both of which can leave the VNC Server running in a desktop
other than the one currently associated with the console.  This would
result in you getting a black screen.

Another possibility is simply that the initial update is taking a long
time to download from the server.  The current release of VNC Viewer
doesn't draw the first frame until all the data has been received, which
makes it difficult to tell whether something is happening.  The next
release will fix this.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.