Tim,

It's possible that this is a timing issue.  If VNC starts before the
firewall then the firewall may not correctly pick up the service's
incoming connection socket and may therefore lose connections.

It may be worth asking McAfee about this - if it affects VNC then it
will probably affect many other network services.

What does the VNC tray icon say when you have rebooted and can't
reconnect?

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.