On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Marvin E Barnett wrote:

> I would like to go a couple of steps further.  Are there reg settings so
> that this will run as a service but not show up in the services window?   I
> propose the same question where the vnc.exe does not show up in the task
> manager?  Has this been implemented and if so can you please let me know the
> reg keys to add.
>
> Simply setting:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\winvnc3\defaultAllowShutdown (DWORD) to 0 does not do what
> I am actually asking.  I have been able to stop the service using w2k when
> this value has been set to 0.

AllowShutdown will prevent non-Administrator users from shutting down the
server.  You must have been running as an Administrator when you tried it.

There have been no legitimate reasons suggested for wanting to
hide the tray icon under NT-based platforms, which is why it is not a
feature.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.