I just dealt with this situation

I was able to resolve the issue of installing WinXP SP2 using VNC and being able to access the system after rebooting the system with the firewall activated. I installed SP2 on a system and then added two port exceptions in Microsoft firewall. I then fire up regedit and searched for the port exception names and exported them to a file. Here's the resulting file contents...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]

"5900:TCP"="5900:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC"
"5800:TCP"="5800:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC Java"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]

"5900:TCP"="5900:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC"
"5800:TCP"="5800:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC Java"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]

"5900:TCP"="5900:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC"
"5800:TCP"="5800:TCP:*:Enabled:VNC Java"

First you install SP2. Then when it finishes, uncheck the box for rebooting and click finish. Now open regedit and import the .reg file. Then reboot the system and you will be able to access the remote system via VNC.

This method would also be handy for setting other default exceptions.

I had tried accessing the firewall after installing SP2 but before rebooting but you can't because the firewall service is not running yet.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. I wouldn't have been able to figure this out without them.

James Weatherall wrote:

Vince,

What are the instructions you gave intended to achieve?

The problem that Mark is seeing is probably that SP2 has the firewall on by
default - he either needs to disable the firewall or add an exception for
the VNC port (usually 5900).

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.