Andrew,

Check that the system keyboard layout does not differ from the one you are
setting when trying to log in to the system - if they differ for some reason
then the VNC Server will translate incoming keys to local key events using
the system-wide mapping and the logon app will then retranslate them to the
wrong thing, in this case screwing up the "#" key ("Hash", not UK pound,
which is "#" :) )

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.