Tom,

VNC 4.0b4 is a very old release - you should upgrade to the full 4.0
release, or to VNC 4.1 when it is released, or buy Enterprise Edition. :)

What is the actual effect you are seeing, precisely?

What is your reasoning in saying that "VNC overhead" that is responsible?
To what overhead are you referring?

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.