Alex,

Actually, as I said in previous mail, it's the citation links that are
broken, not the link to the document itself.

To summarise the hole-punching aspect of things, it's basically the case
that msot NAT routers keep track of recent outbound UDP packets & will allow
incoming traffic corresponding to those for a short period afterwards.  The
mediator tells both ends to send UDP packets to each other to start the ball
rolling and once that's done they run something akin to a VPN over UDP.  In
effect, the two endpoints are using the mediator in place of their own
network administrators, which may explain why people feel uneasy about that
aspect of things.. :)

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.