Paul,

VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1 attempts to center the window on the specified
monitor (usually the primary monitor), and the clips the window to lay
completely within the "working area", i.e. within the area not covered by
any toolbars, the taskbar etc.

We did not see the problem you describe during testing and, sure enough, we
don't see it now on our primary Windows XP SP2 test system.  We've since
tried it on some other systems and have now reproduced it and located the
problem (which was timing related, possibly explaining why our test system
didn't exhibit it).  Let me know if you'd like an interim fixed copy of VNC
Viewer!

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.