Paul,

If you're getting error 10061, that means that the computer you are actually
connecting to responded to reject the connection.  This might be because the
VNC Server isn't running, or because you're connecting to the wrong
computer.

Given that you're also seeing "Connection rejected by user" but not seeing
the prompt on the machine you think you're connecting to, I'd guess you're
connecting to a different computer from the one you mean to.

Cheers,

Wez