Joel,

It is an absolute fact that VNC Server does *not* attempt to connect to a
DNS server except in the case that it has been requested to make an outgoing
connection to a listening viewer.

Either the program you are using to detect these accesses is wrongly
attributing them, or some aspect of your system configuration is broken is
such a way as to cause periodic VNC Server events such as refreshing the
tray icon to somehow employ DNS.

Which version of VNC Server are you running?

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.