David,

What operating system do the Cisco boxes run, and what kind of GUI do they
use?

If you cannot install VNC on them directly, you can alternatively use an
AdderLink IP device (http://www.realvnc.com/products/KVM-over-IP) to access
the consoles of the machines without installing software on them.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.