SRM SRM wrote:

  VNC Group,

  This is the first time I'm using VNC.

  I  have  a  linux  desktop  and  I've started the vnc server by typing
  "vncserver".

  Now  on  my  windows pc, I opened the vnc viewer and tried to view the
  linux desktop locally on the windows pc.  Here is exactly what I do...

  Start/Programs/Real VNC/VNC Viewer4/Run VNC Viewer

  Afterwards,  a  window comes up that shows me a root unix prompt/shell
  to  the  linux  desktop.   However,  it does not show me the linux gui
  desktop  itself  (ie, the menu bar at the bottom of the screens, etc).

This is not 'the' desktop, it is 'a' desktop. It is most likely the tiny window manager (twm) which shows an xterm application. There are various ways to get an other desktop in there.

The most easy shot you can get is to see if your distribution provides anything with vnc. If so. best to start using that, it is most likely pre-configured for your distribution.

be noted, vnc on unix does not provide a view to the console desktop by default, it gives a new, fresh desktop. If you want a view to the console-desktop, that needs a special setup, also available with some distributions or even with some desktop-environments.

  Again,  I  only  get a shell (which is just like ssh-ing into the box)
  but I dont get the entire linux gui on my windows box.

True, it is like ssh-ing, including an X11 connection. However, it is not encrypted!

CBee