Hi Linda
please Check the FAQs

VISTA Support much better with enterprise or personal
not free version [difficulty with Vista security issues]

although some compatibility available with VNCfree version when
NOT using vncFree servicemode but using vncfree usermode instead

note: Wez response below

Vista has some kludges to try to workaround the inherent security flaws in
Win32's window messaging system, which unfortunately break the -connect
feature of VNC 3 & VNC 4 Free Edition servers.

VNC Personal & Enterprise Edition servers use a new mechanism that isn't
affected by this aspect of Vista's design.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

also Seak, Teng-Fong said

     OK, I see.  My reply was to your sentence "... another service to tell
it that it is *time* to start ...".  When it's about "time", I would think
of using scheduler.  That's all I meant.

     OK, back to your problem.  VNC 4.1.2 free edition, as far as I know,
doesn't work well in service mode.  Seems like it's working better in user
space (not a problem of session as you thought, but of space).  I've just
tried to do what you want and succeeded.  Here's what to do:
1. Stop and unregistered service mode of VNC server.
2. Run VNC server in user mode but without administrator right.  That means
simple click on "Run VNC Server" inside "VNC Server (User-Mode)" is
sufficient.
3. Now, you could do
"c:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\winvnc4.exe" -connect <your viewer PC>

   HTH

Dave Larson wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have method that fits my needs that works
on WinXP and I am trying to make it work on VISTA.

Currently I have clients that are behind firewalls and I am not allowed to
contact them directly.  I have another service that checks with me and finds
out that I want to make a connection.  I put VNC on my end in listen mode
and the service on the client does "c:\program files\.....\winvnc.exe
-connect <myIP>" to tell the WinVNC service on the client end to make the
connection.  This works under WinXP.

On VISTA, with the session 0 isolation, when my service executes "c:\program
files\.....\winvnc.exe -connect <myIP>" I think that there is an error and
the WinVNC service can not be found because it is in another session and can
not be seen by my service.

I think that on VISTA there is some way that I can communicate with the
WinVNC service from a different session, because with WinVNC4 running as a
service on VISTA the WinVNC SysTray tool can pass a message to the WinVNC
service to tell it to initiate a connection.

Dave

AND ON  25-06-07 it was said
Hi Estela,

VNC Enterprise Edition currently supports Windows Vista, and the upcoming
4.3 release of this and VNC Personal Edition will improve this support.  VNC
Free Edition does not currently support Windows Vista.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd