You have fastuserswitching enabled
free vnc is not compatible with fastuserswitching

only the firstlogged in user can connect to the desktop
without getting knocked off the computer

if you can logg in as the first user you can then loggoff that user
and then log in as the user you want

Steve ;-)

James IWD wrote:
I am connecting using the VNC Viewer to a local machine (192.168.0.151) of
which I am asked the password for the VNC host. I am then connected to the
portal window which shows the windows login screen for the local computer. I
type the windows login into there and it looks to be about to dump me through
to the desktop but the portal window closes. I wish I could give you a better
understanding of whats going on but there are no errors reported!

Everything has been kept to the default settings and ports.

Im yet to get this working on the outside but it looks as though it wont even
work on the inside. All I want is for any Remote Desktop Tools to work this is
my third one so far. Windows RDC is the closest Ive been to getting what I
need but can communicate externally.

This is just a simple home network with xp pro installed on all machines. (No
server technologies other than the software supplied with the VNC is
installed)

Can someone help me.

Thanks
James